The fire service has a long and proud history of dedication, unselfish sacrifice, and inspired human action. The long and noble tradition of rendering service in the time of need has established a heritage of which the firefighter can be justly proud.
As a volunteer firefighter you will be participating in front line firefighting and emergency medical incidents and will most likely be exposed to the hazards normally associated with those responsibilities. Responding to 911 calls to deal with the various emergencies that may occur in the community will prove to be both physically and mentally taxing. Individuals are encouraged to consider this before applying.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Maintain a Washington State driver’s license, satisfactory driving record and car insurance.
- Turn in a completed application and required documentation. Be sure to include a copy of your driver’s license.
- Pass a firefighter physical exam and drug test. (Department expense)
- Pass physical agility test.
- Comply with the Policies and Standard Operating Procedures of the RFA.
- Volunteers are eligible for a stipend reimbursement program for attending and responding to emergencies.
- Volunteers qualify for the Washington State pension plan (Volunteer Firefighter’ Relief and Pension Act).
- Volunteers qualify for a $50,000 life insurance program.
- Life flight membership.
- Learn teamwork, responsibility and become a member of the family.
- Explore the possibilities of a career in firefighting or emergency medicine.
- Provide a skilled service to their community.
- Participate in the Department’s social events.
For additional information or to apply, please complete the Employment Application on the Forms page, then contact the WBFR main office at (509) 786-3873.
7 out of 10 Firefighters and Emergency Responders are Volunteers!
Your community need more volunteers like YOU!
We invite you to join a family that’ll always have your back and train you up to serve our community in ways few can.
We may even give you our secret chili recipe!