West Benton Fire Rescue trains firefighter recruits to the standards of IFSAC Firefighter 1, the national entry level for professional departments. This course includes both classroom and practical experience.
After the completion of initial training, the recruit will train for two to three hours each week on Wednesday evenings to maintain and refine their skills. All initial and ongoing training costs for volunteers are covered by the department.
Emergency Medical and Special Rescue Training
Firefighters in their second year with West Benton Fire Rescue are encouraged to become Emergency Medical Technicians. Costs associated with this class will be reimbursed by WBFR upon successful completion of the course.
Firefighters drill regularly at the Training Tower at West Benton Fire Rescue station 310. The three-story tower simulates conditions firefighters might encounter in the most common structures (one and two-story homes and mid-rise apartment complexes and buildings.) Simulated smoke can be used to create fire-like conditions throughout the building. Firefighters use the tower for drills on laddering, hose evolutions, search and rescue, fire suppression tactics, forcible entry, firefighter safety and survival, ventilation, ladder operations and many other firefighting disciplines.
Training is required by Washington State law, conforms to industry standards and is essential to keeping personnel and the citizens of the Prosser community and surrounding areas safe.
The Training Captain is responsible for administering and documenting all training including:
- Evaluating the training level of individual employees and employee teams
- Research recommendations or provide training in new concepts
- Planning and coordinating training with other organizations
- Providing recruit orientation and probationary programs
- Coordinating training activities with city, county and state agencies and ensuring compliance with relevant standards and legal requirements
- Developing and implementing safe practices for district operations
- Recruiting and mentoring subject matter experts to form our professional instructor